Guest Writers

A place for the brilliant writings of my non-blogging friends

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Can I drive?! - by Anonymous

It's my sophomore year in high school and I had just turned 16 and just gotten my drivers license. Eight delightful days later I was ecstatic because I got to drive my mom's brand spankin' new Acura TL to get my hair done for my brothers wedding which was later that day. On my way back home, I pulled out onto Highway 365 and I got hit by a HUGE maw maw car. Needless to say it totaled my mom's car and only put a crack in the old man's submarine. I looked real cute in all the pictures with my puffy eyes from crying all day long and the bruise on my forehead.

I was banned from driving after that. Well, one summer night... I was spending the night at one of my friend's houses. She was still 15 and since we were bored and I was 16, we decided to sneak her mom's car out of the garage and go cruise the streets on Nederland/Groves. Well, of course.. being girls.. we had to drive by the houses of the guys we had crushes on!

We were driving down Roosevelt. I remember it clear as day. It was probably about midnight and before we got to Adam's house, we got scared because we didn't want him to be outside for some odd reason. So, I turned around in the driveway of a little blue house. I obviously cut the wheels too fast and I got stuck in the ditch on the side of her driveway.

Doing everything I possibly could to get the car out.. it wasn't budging, scared that if I turned the steering wheel the other way, we'd go bumper first into the ditch. So, we get out of the car...only to see red and blue lights coming down the street. Scared as ever, my friend & I just stood like deer in headlights thinking...No way, they aren't coming for us! Sure enough.. the lady that lived in the little blue house must have been CRAZY and called the cops on us, because she thought we were burglars.

The cop looked at us in our pj's & bunny slippers and must have known what good innocent children we were and he helped get the car out without calling our parents. (WHEW!) Still to this day.. I will NOT back out of driveways with ditches on either side.

Thank you, drive thru.

No comments: